WiKirby requires that people to set up an account to be able to edit pages. There are numerous aspects to WiKirby's user accounts. These are described below.
Accounts are activated simply by confirming an email that would be sent to the email address that was entered on the signup form. Once activated, the account is open indefinitely no matter how much time goes by.
Accounts cannot be deleted or removed from the wiki; due to the nature of the database, deleting an account would cause database errors. However, an account may be disabled from use upon request by the account holder. Administrators have the ability upon request to reset and randomize the password of a user's account, making it inaccessible and effectively disabled.
It is important that users have legitimate email addresses tied to their accounts. Not only is this needed to activate them, but it allows users to recover their passwords if they forget it. Should the option be enabled in the user preferences, it also allows semi-anonymous emails between two users. So it is important to have real email addresses tied to accounts rather than a temporary email address. WiKirby WILL NOT spam in-boxes.
It is entirely possible to rename accounts here. To do so it is simply a matter of requesting it from an active bureaucrat. It is recommended that this be done sparingly, as it is a load on the server to change a name. It also turns your existing user pages into redirects as it moves them to the new name.
- Main article: User Rights
Depending on the user's actions, he or she may acquire further access to actions and rights on the wiki. The most that the average user can expect to obtain is auto-confirmed rights.
There are a number of reasons why an account will be banned. The amount of time of the ban is based upon the reason for banning. Common reasons for banning include:
- Inserting false information
- Deliberately inserting a large amount of information that is completely false.
- Removing content from pages
- Removing a large amount of content from pages.
- Spamming links to external sites or linking to questionable websites
- Inserting links to external sites for purposes of advertising it, or linking to websites which contain: porn, computer infestation devices, or other questionable content.
- Inserting nonsense/gibberish into pages
- Inserting random content into pages for purposes of causing disruption.
- Intimidating behavior/harassment
- Harassing another user, defiance of the wiki's rules, unacceptable attitude.
- Abusing multiple accounts
- Registering under more than one account to evade a block, vandalize, or other illicit purposes.
- Unacceptable username
- The username contained illegal characters or was simply too long. Users blocked under this reason will be asked to register under a different, more appropriate username.
- Overall destructive behavior with obvious intent to cause chaos.
A newly introduced feature allows users to assign a gender to their accounts. In the future, this will be used to have the correct pronouns in userboxes, messages, and other things. As of right now the feature is not used enough to do this. It is highly encouraged that users set their gender on the user preferences.
User Namespace Permissions and Restrictions
WiKirby has been fairly lenient in regards to user page and superflous user sub pages. While we'll still allow your user page to be a place where you can creatively express yourself or tell others whatever you feel like doing; some guidelines will be defined and staff will need to balance permissions with restrictions. In general, user sandboxes are permitted, as WiKirby allows experimentation. Our desired outcome is for your user page to contain whatever you would like to say there, and the user sub pages be either Kirby or wiki related.
What we will allow:
- Sandboxes and experimental subpages.
- Kirby or wiki related subpages that may be beneficial to any reader, such as wiki musings, image editing tutorials, operating system or browser comparison guides, works in progress intended to eventually be in the main namespace.
- A custom signature containing text and/or unicode symbols.
- Up to three personal images per user that can be displayed on their userpage.
What we will not allow:
- Any inappropriate content such as AdSpam, porn, links to sites of questionable content, or offensive natured writings/imagery.
- User subpages determined to spoof the MediaWiki interface or mock WiKirby policy.
- Content intending to utilize WiKirby as a discussion forum for topics unrelated to our project. Such as: Treasure Hunts, Discussion Games/Missions, Fan Fictions, Fan game creation fantasizing, etc.
- Custom signatures containing images.
Any Admin may either delete user sub-pages or move the content to the creator's user page as necessary. Other members can deem such pages deletable, and report it to an admin.