|Slam the puck into your opponents and send them flying!|
— Collection Lists description of Slam Hockey.
Slam Hockey is one of the ten Battle types in Kirby Battle Royale. Contestants are placed on a glass rink with a giant puck, with the goal being to slam the puck into each-other to score.
Rules and gameplay
|So, I went to see Slam Hockey! And I saw something fly into the sky at incredible speed!|
— Waddle Dee in Kirby Battle Royale
Four contestants and a large puck are placed in a rectangular arena. To score a point, a contestant must strike or toss the puck at one of his rivals to knock them out of the arena. When the puck is struck or tossed, it will move very quickly and ricochet off walls, gaining a light streak that represents the color of the contestant who hit it. It cannot be interrupted until this streak goes away. After enough time has passed, a roulette will appear, selecting a random contestant. The selected contestant will then be worth 3 points if they are knocked out instead of one as usual. Once the target contestant is knocked out, the roulette will select a different one.
In addition to striking the puck, contestants can also attack each-other. They have stamina, and can be KO'd as usual, but this does not score a point.
There are three stages for Slam Hockey. They are as follows:
A standard rectangular arena with no extra features.
A sky-bound arena where a ballooned flag occasionally covers up the viewing area.
A standard rectangular arena, though the puck is much taller, capable of hitting contestants in the air. The heavier puck also moves more slowly.
The following Battle Bonuses can be awarded in Single Player or local Multiplayer Battle Mode:
- Bonus Striker - Hit the most bonus targets with discs!
- Puck Dancer - Got hit by a puck the least!
- Super Catcher - Caught the most flying pucks!
- The Obstacle Arena takes place in the skies above the seven Rainbow Islands from Kirby's Dream Land 2, as well as the five areas of Pop Star from Kirby's Dream Land 3.
- This battle mode is the least featured in Dedede's Cake Royale, with only two League Battles devoted to it.
- Contestants who get slammed by the puck are not healed when they return to the arena.
Names in other languages