Pon & Con
|Pon and Con block the way! Kitted out in sinister black armor, these combat-ready critters have got a gate to guard, and they aren't about to let the Star Allies through without a fight!|
— Pause Menu info from Star Allies
Pon & Con (known as Pon Con in Kirby's Dream Land 3) are a dual boss consisting of a brown tanuki (Pon) and a yellow kitsune (Con). They are natives on Planet Popstar. While not normally hostile to Kirby, they have been possessed by more malevolent forces and made to fight him in the games in which they appear.
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Pon Con is fought at the end of Sand Canyon. Their fight is similar to the one with Nruff & Nelly from Kirby's Dream Land 2, as they run around on decked platforms in and out of the screen with their children in tow. Kirby can attack them - if he has no ability - by inhaling these children and spitting them back at their parents. An additional caveat exists though, in the form of a large Gordo with a skull insignia on it, that occasionally falls in various places to block off a path to Kirby.
Pon Con have separate health though it is displayed as one life bar, each with 160 HP. Both of them need to be defeated separately in order to win the fight.
Kirby Star Allies
Pon & Con returned in Kirby Star Allies after a long absence, now under the control of the Jambastion force and dressed up in armor bearing the Jambastion emblem. Their fight is largely the same as it was in Dream Land 3, as their children follow them in tow like before. They are fought at Gatehouse Road, in Jambastion, as well as in Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go! and The Ultimate Choice on medium difficulties.
Each of Pon & Con has 240 HP in Story Mode and Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go!, and 180 HP in The Ultimate Choice. (For reference, a Star Bullet does 52 damage.) When their total health is below 60%, they will enter the second phase and take 0.2× damage during the shifting.
Once they are defeated in the Story Mode, Kirby must toss a Friend Heart at them to make them friendly to him and proceed. They will then open the gatehouse for him, and participate in his victory dance. In other modes, Friend Hearts have no effect on them.
The following table lists all of Pon & Con's attacks in Kirby Star Allies:
|Pon & Con's Attacks in Kirby Star Allies|
|Solo Movement||Pon or Con runs across a decked platform with no Junior.|
|Movement with Juniors||Pon or Con runs across a decked platform with a number of Juniors.|
|Junior-only Movement||Only the Juniors run across a decked platform. On occasion, a Waddle Doo might run among the Juniors.|
|Rushing Movement||During the second phase of the fight, Pon & Con run much faster.|
|Fire Bomb Drop||The Juniors on the ceiling drop a fire bomb, creating flames in explosion.|
|Ice Bomb Drop||The Juniors on the ceiling drop an ice bomb, creating icicles in explosion.|
|Guard does not fully prevent contact damage from Pon & Con.|
Attack names are taken from Japanese guide book.
- Pon & Con appear as a Keychain in Kirby: Triple Deluxe.
- Pon & Con appear on Page 19 of the Secret Diary in Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, decipted as comedians in a "Comedy Special" playing on the junky old TV.
- Tanuki (Japanese raccoon dog) and kitsune (fox in Japanese) are a recurring duo in Japanese folklore, and Pon & Con is one of their popular culture appearances.
- Pon & Con are referred to as Raccoon & Fox on Page 34 of the North American manual of Kirby's Dream Land 3. Tanukis are often localized as raccoons in video games despite them being different species.
- A metal version of the duo, Goldon & Silvox, appear on Mareen Moon in Kirby Star Allies. They are a harder version of Pon & Con and behave similarly in boss battle. However, they are different characters.
- When Pon & Con are defeated in Kirby Star Allies, their helmets crash into each other and make a metal sound. In Goldon & Silvox's case, the same metal sound is made from their collided metal bodies instead.
- The Pon & Con boss battles could have referenced Maru-chan™ "Red Kitsune Udon" & "Green Tanuki Tempura Soba" ramen noodles by Toyo Suisan.
- In Kirby's Dream Land 3, when Pon & Con are hit, Pon flashes in green while Con flashes in red.
- In Kirby Star Allies, when Pon & Con roar, Pon releases green effects while Con releases red effects; when they are defeated, Pon is knocked out with green smoke while Con is knocked out with red smoke.
- Parallel Big Kracko can drop the same fire bombs of Pon & Con and Goldon & Silvox.
Names in other languages
Pon ando Kon
|Pon & Con
ā lí (Pon)
ā hú (Con)
|Dutch||Pon en Con||Pon & Con|
|French||Pon & Cot||Pon & Con
|German||Pon & Con||Pon & Con|
|Italian||Pon & Con||Pon & Con|
|Spanish||Pon y Con||Pon & Con|