|Watch out for moving machine parts!
You have (to)[sic] race through this course while negotiating (with)[sic] machine parts like revolving sprockets. Your machine's top speed may be affected by the direction these sprockets turn, so be careful, learn their patterns, and go with the flow!
— Kirby Air Ride North American instruction booklet, page 37
Metal (referred to as Steel in the instruction booklet) is one of the seven Top Ride courses in Kirby Air Ride. It is a long course set amidst heavy machinery, which can cause great disturbance to the racers when it really gets going.
Metal is the seventh and final course and features a long segmented track, similar in layout to the Grass course track, but with an additional bend in the upper middle portion and tighter turns overall. The track is run in a counter-clockwise fashion, with the finish line placed just to the right of the bottom-middle area. The default number of laps needed to complete this course is five.
Metal is among the most dynamic stages in Top Ride, with many moving parts and hazards, as follows:
- There are a large number of gears set in the course. Four in the right side of the course spin laterally in the floor when triggered by riding over the vertically-spinning gears along the bottom of the course. They can be set to spin in either direction at varying speeds. There is also a set of vertical gears in the upper-left portion of the track that are less consequential.
- Among the three right-most lateral gears are slots, out of which barriers will pop up while the gears are moving. Hitting a barrier causes it to break, and slows down the racer who ran into it.
- On the left side of the course are three fans, which start out deactivated. Three square switches of differing color can be pressed to turn these fans on and off, creating a wind current that hinders the racers.
In Free Play mode, the hazards of Metal are disabled. This means that none of the machinery moves or can be interacted with.
The following are all of the checklist objectives that specifically pertain to Metal:
|Free Run: METAL Do one lap in under 00:11:50!||None|
|Free Run: METAL Do one lap in under 00:09:50!||None|
|Time Attack: METAL Finish in under 00:51:00!||None|
|Time Attack: METAL Finish in under 00:57:00!||None|
|Top Ride: METAL Finish 1st and hit the switch 10 times or more!||None|
|Top Ride: METAL Finish 1st with CPUs set to level 5!||None|
|Top Ride: METAL Finish 1st 5 seconds faster than #2!||Color: White Kirby|
|Top Ride: METAL Finish 5 laps in under 00:58:00!||None|
|Top Ride: METAL (No "Zero Items" rule) Take 1st place without using items!||None|
|Top Ride: METAL Race more than 100 laps!||None|
|Top Ride: METAL Take 1st and break 5 or more gear walls!||Music: Top Ride: Metal|
|Top Ride: METAL Take 1st place 10 times or more!||None|
|Top Ride: METAL Take 1st place without using Boost!||Music: Shooting|
|Top Ride: METAL Take 1st without breaking any gear walls!||None||This can be done easily by setting the Laps to 1, as no gear walls appear on the first lap through.|
- The default music that plays in this course is a remix of the Cocoa Cave theme.
Names in other languages
- Taken from Kirby Air Ride North American instruction booklet - page 37