Meta Knight (anime)
- This article is about Meta Knight as he appears in Kirby: Right Back at Ya!. For Meta Knight as he appears in the games, see Meta Knight.
Sir Meta Knight is a major supporting character in Kirby: Right Back at Ya!. He is a veteran Star Warrior who has settled in King Dedede's court, feigning to serve the king in order to protect Dream Land from the monsters which are summoned on the regular through Night Mare Enterprises. After Kirby crash-lands in Dream Land, Meta Knight tasks himself with guiding and training the young pink puffball in the art of fighting monsters, though his methods are often extreme, putting Kirby in harm's way. Meta Knight wields the sacred blade Galaxia, though he rarely uses it directly.
Meta Knight has a similar body structure to Kirby, but is deep blue in color and is somewhat more modest; wearing a mask, boots, gloves, shoulder pauldrons, and a cape, which he wraps around himself when not in combat. Despite being slightly smaller than Kirby in the video games, Meta Knight is larger than him here, which helps to demonstrate that at least in the anime, Kirby is still a child.
Unlike Kirby, Meta Knight has a full speaking role. He takes on the role of a mysterious but dedicated swordsman and mentor, helping both Kirby and Tiff when they are in need. In both the Japanese and American versions, his presence is announced through the soundtrack with a Latin-style sting with guitar and maracas, and this is complimented in the American version with a stereotypical Spanish accent for the masked swordsman.
Meta Knight is demonstrated to be very wise and experienced, having survived a war against Night Mare Enterprises which defeated nearly every Star Warrior in the universe. He is cautious, extreme, and takes on the attitude of a survivalist, though despite his demeanor, he still cares for the people he has sworn to protect. Despite his usual stoic demeanor, Meta Knight does display a wide range of emotions. His eyes will change color depending on his mood. If he is happy or calm, they are blue. If he is thoughtful, they are green. If he is angry, they are red. If he is amused, they are pink.
Meta Knight has a unique set of relationships compared to most of the rest of the cast. While he does not interact much with the residents of Cappy Town, the few relationships he does have are very strong, often rooted in repeated hardships which were overcome either in the backstory, or throughout the series proper.
- Kirby - While Meta Knight did not know Kirby personally prior to the first episode of the show, the two of them are of the same order and origin. As such, Meta Knight knows a good deal about Kirby's potential and his temperament. Meta Knight acts as a secret guardian to Kirby, though he is not particularly involved in Kirby's life, only appearing on the scene when the pink puffball is in trouble. Likewise, Kirby does not know Meta Knight very well, but will tend to follow his instruction.
- Tiff - Following Kirby's crash-landing in Dream Land, Meta Knight places primary responsibility for Kirby in the hands of Tiff, and instructs her whenever she needs help with Kirby or his safety. This slowly grows into a full mentor and pupil relationship between the two, as Tiff begins to see herself as a knight-in-training.
- Sword Knight & Blade Knight - These two knights are Meta Knight's formal apprentices. In flashbacks, it is revealed that these two used to be roadside bandits until an encounter with Meta Knight resulted in the two dedicating themselves to him. They are often seen at his side and will follow his orders without question, though their intemperance sometimes leads to problems.
- King Dedede - Meta Knight has no respect for King Dedede, but feigns to be his loyal servant in order to keep the people of Dream Land safe. As such, this rouse leads King Dedede to believe that Meta Knight is an incompetent soldier and to disregard him, allowing Meta Knight to act with the freedom he needs, with little responsibilities to the court.
The following is a complete list of all of Meta Knight's appearances in Kirby: Right Back at Ya!, along with other information regarding his role in each episode:
|Meta Knight's appearances in Kirby: Right Back at Ya!|
|Kirby Comes to Cappy Town||Primary character||"It is Kirby's classic defense: inhale!"|
|A Blockbuster Battle||Secondary character||"Your opponent is made of a super-high-density matter. It is too heavy to be sucked up by Kirby."|
|Kirby's Duel Role||Primary character||"Your spirit is willing, my friend, but your pink flesh is weak."|
|Dark and Stormy Knight||Primary character||"Kirby's Starship detected the King's monster, but Kirby was not scheduled to awaken for another 200 years! That is why his ship crash-landed. He is totally untrained. He cannot speak! He can barely think!"|
|Un-Reality TV||Secondary character||"Don't believe everything you see on the television set, my friend."|
|Kirby's Egg-Cellent Adventure||Tertiary character||"Our deeds bind us to fate as surely as the Sun sets."|
|Curio's Curious Discovery||Secondary character||"With every battle, Kirby's strength and skills intensify. He truly has the makings of a great Star Warrior!"|
|The Fofa Factor||Tertiary character||"Kirby has transformed! He is now Cutter Kirby! Cutter Kirby can battle his opponents with the cutter on his cap!"|
|Hail to the Chief||Tertiary character||"Tuff believes in the chief. Perhaps we should, too."|
|The Big Taste Test||Secondary character||"It can repair itself quickly! You must hurry!"|
|Escargoon Squad||Secondary character||"With all due respect, I find it hard to believe that you are not involved with these paranormalities."|
|Cappy New Year||Secondary character||"I wanted to wish Kirby a happy New Year...if he makes it to the new year!"|
|The Pillow Case||Primary character||"Everyone in Cappy Town who slept on these pillows is now out to destroy Kirby!"|
|A Fish Called Kine||Secondary character||"The King is going to destroy the rainbow coral reef!"|
|Flower Power||Primary character||"He may not be too smart, but his heart is in the right place."|
|Here Comes the Son||Primary character||"Your father gave that to me. At the end, something stopped him from fully surrendering himself to eNeMeE. It was the love he had for you."|
|Dedede's Snow Job||Secondary character||"Yes. Perhaps he is behind this...snow job."|
|The Empty Nest Mess||Tertiary character||"Kirby! The chick is in danger!"||Meta Knight is paired with Fololo & Falala in the only scene he is in.|
|Ninja Binge||Secondary character||"That ninja may be back some day. You beat him this time, Kirby, but next time, surprise will not be on your side. We must train hard for your next encounter."|
|Escargoon Rules||Tertiary character||"Hmm...Kirby is putting his own spin on the situation!"|
|Hour of the WolfWrath||Primary character||"I will tell you what we must do. We must search for a new warrior. One who will defeat eNeMeE, and bring justice to our galaxy."|