Meta Knight (anime)
- This article is about Meta Knight as he appears in Kirby: Right Back at Ya!. For Meta Knight as he appears in the games, see Meta Knight.
Meta Knight is a major supporting character in Kirby: Right Back at Ya!. He is a veteran Star Warrior who has settled in King Dedede's court, feigning to serve the king in order to protect Dream Land from the monsters which are summoned on the regular through NightMare Enterprises. After Kirby crash-lands in Dream Land, Meta Knight tasks himself with guiding and training the young pink puffball in the art of fighting monsters, though his methods are often extreme, putting Kirby in harm's way. Meta Knight wields the sacred blade Galaxia, though he rarely uses it directly.
Meta Knight has a similar body structure to Kirby, but is deep blue in color and is somewhat more modest; wearing a mask, boots, gloves, shoulder pauldrons, and a cape, which he wraps around himself when not in combat. Despite being slightly smaller than Kirby in the video games, Meta Knight is larger than him here, which helps to demonstrate that at least in the anime, Kirby is still a child.
Unlike Kirby, Meta Knight has a full speaking role. He takes on the role of a mysterious but dedicated swordsman and mentor, helping both Kirby and Tiff when they are in need. In both the Japanese and American versions, his presence is announced through the soundtrack with a Latin-style sting with guitar and maracas, and this is complimented in the American version with a stereotypical Spanish accent for the masked swordsman.
Meta Knight is demonstrated to be very wise and experienced, having survived a war against NightMare Enterprises which defeated nearly every Star Warrior in the universe. He is cautious, extreme, and takes on the attitude of a survivalist, though despite his demeanor, he still cares for the people he has sworn to protect. Despite his usual stoic demeanor, Meta Knight does display a wide range of emotions. His eyes will change color depending on his mood. If he is happy or calm, they are blue. If he is thoughtful, they are green. If he is angry, they are red. If he is amused, they are pink.
Meta Knight has a unique set of relationships compared to most of the rest of the cast. While he does not interact much with the residents of Cappy Town, the few relationships he does have are very strong, often rooted in repeated hardships which were overcome either in the backstory, or throughout the series proper.
- Kirby - While Meta Knight did not know Kirby personally prior to the first episode of the show, the two of them are of the same order and origin. As such, Meta Knight knows a good deal about Kirby's potential and his temperament. Meta Knight acts as a secret guardian to Kirby, though he is not particularly involved in Kirby's life, only appearing on the scene when the pink puffball is in trouble. Likewise, Kirby does not know Meta Knight very well, but will tend to follow his instruction.
- Tiff - Following Kirby's crash-landing in Dream Land, Meta Knight places primary responsibility for Kirby in the hands of Tiff, and instructs her whenever she needs help with Kirby or his safety. This slowly grows into a full mentor and pupil relationship between the two, as Tiff begins to see herself as a knight-in-training.
- Sword Knight & Blade Knight - These two knights are Meta Knight's formal apprentices. In flashbacks, it is revealed that these two used to be roadside bandits until an encounter with Meta Knight resulted in the two dedicating themselves to him. They are often seen at his side and will follow his orders without question, though their intemperance sometimes leads to problems.
- King Dedede - Meta Knight has no respect for King Dedede, but feigns to be his loyal servant in order to keep the people of Dream Land safe. As such, this rouse leads King Dedede to believe that Meta Knight is an incompetent soldier and to disregard him, allowing Meta Knight to act with the freedom he needs, with little responsibilities to the court.