- This article is about King Dedede as he appears in Kirby: Right Back at Ya!. For King Dedede as he appears in the games, see King Dedede.
King Dedede is different in the anime compared to how he acts in the games. King Dedede is more of a tyrant in Kirby: Right Back at Ya!, and his goal is to get rid of Kirby. This transforms King Dedede into a more antagonistic character. To fulfill his goal, King Dedede often orders monsters from Night Mare Enterprises. However, these monsters always eventually fail in their mission. King Dedede is even seen rejoicing in Abusement Park when Kirby sings on top of the Night Mare Enterprises Teleporter and is teleported to the Night Mare Enterprises in the middle of his performance. ("We finally drove old Kirby out of Dream Land!") However, King Dedede does have some care for Kirby, as seen in D'Preciation Day where he believes he killed Kirby and is mournful.
King Dedede appears mainly the same as he does in the games, with a blue body, yellow feet, defined arms, and a beak, with a red robe, hat topped with a puffball, and sash across his waist. He does not wear the yellow kimono that King Dedede from the game series wears in later installments. King Dedede is also not typically seen with his hammer, though he can pull it out whenever he gets sufficiently angry. As expected in a cartoon series, King Dedede is quite expressive, though this usually manifests in outrage or in gloating.
Due to King Dedede's nature, basically none of the characters he interacts with like him, though due to his status as king, they must respect him as such to some degree. Despite this animosity, King Dedede is sometimes able to have genuine moments of growth with other members of the cast.
- Kirby - Kirby is the primary target of King Dedede's ire throughout the series, as the king constantly tries to dispatch monsters from N.M.E. to get rid of him. It becomes clear throughout the series that the main reason for this is because King Dedede is intensely jealous of Kirby's power and relationships, and sometimes, even he is moved by Kirby's carefree child-like nature. Kirby in return does not mind King Dedede much, despite being attacked by him constantly.
- Escargoon - Escargoon is King Dedede's most loyal servant, and as such, receives the most amount of abuse directly from the king. Despite his loyalty, Escargoon resents the king in secret, and relishes in any misfortune that comes Dedede's way.
- Meta Knight - King Dedede views Meta Knight as an incompetent soldier due to his perceived inability to deal with Kirby, and as such, often disregards him. Meta Knight in return has no respect for the king, but enjoys his ability to operate under the king's radar.
- Waddle Dees - Despite the king's cruelty, the Waddle Dees of the castle work tirelessly to tend to his every need in exchange for having a place to live. King Dedede comes to realize their importance after he sells them all off to help pay his debt to Night Mare Enterprises in the episode Waddle While You Work.
- Residents of Cappy Town - The inhabitants of Cappy Town are always wary of King Dedede's abusive behavior and openly defy him on many occasions despite his threats. Instead of their supposed king, Cappy Town's people consult with the great Kabu for leadership and guidance.
- N.M.E. Sales Guy - King Dedede is tied down by Night Mare Enterprises due to an enormous debt he owes them from all the monsters he ordered. The Sales Guy in particular seeks only to worsen this situation by buttering the king up with new monster deals, with no compassion toward Dedede's predicament, often directly mocking him when the monsters don't perform as Dedede had hoped.
The following is a complete list of all of King Dedede's appearances in Kirby: Right Back at Ya!, along with other information regarding his role in each episode:
|King Dedede's appearances in Kirby: Right Back at Ya!|
|Kirby Comes to Cappy Town||Primary character||"Good one, Escargoon. There's more than one way to skin a Kirby!"|
|A Blockbuster Battle||Primary character||"Well if I can't get rid of Kirby the sneaky way...I'll just have to do it the freaky way!"|
|Kirby's Duel Role||Primary character||*laughs* "That's one ugly bug! Now go get Kirby, beetle boy!"|
|Dark and Stormy Knight||Primary character||"I'll show them kids! If I can't earn respect, I'll just buy it...from Night Mare Enterprises!"|
|Beware: Whispy Woods!||Primary character||"Who gives a double-bogey about that as long as I've got my golf course!"|
|Un-Reality TV||Primary character||"Would you rather lather with a dope soap? Bathe like a king!"|
|Kirby's Egg-Cellent Adventure||Primary character||"Look at all the variety! There's shy birds, fly birds, blue birds, two birds, crazy birds, and lazy birds!"|
|Curio's Curious Discovery||Primary character||"My unworthy subjects; I'm tickled turquoise to see so many of you good for nothings come to kiss up to your king!"|
|The Fofa Factor||Primary character||Them Cappy-ccinos need half-and-half'in!|
|Hail to the Chief||Primary character||"Them bees are going bee-serk! Step on it 'fore that swarm catches us!"|
|The Big Taste Test||Primary character||"Kirby will be out of our hair and into his stomach! What a perfect recipe!"|
|Escargoon Squad||Primary character||"But maybe this is all a mistake! Maybe there's some logical expli-cation of the whole situation!"|
|Cappy New Year||Primary character||"I'm the King of Dream Land and I dreamed up this here shin-dig, so you losers can either show up or ship out!"|
|The Pillow Case||Primary character||"When you nestle your weary noggin on this magical D-lightful Dreams Pilla', sweet visions of sugar buns will be dancing in your head, right, Kirby?"
(miming a Kirby puppet) "-Uh-huh."
|Kirby's Pet Peeve||Primary character||"That's one of them computer canines! I want one of them, too, where he get?!"|
|A Fish Called Kine||Primary character||"I know folks say that opposites attract, but I never saw a couple that was this opposite!"|
|The Thing About the Ring||Primary character||"Stick a sock in it, slug-mug! We gotta find out why today's so special!"|
|Flower Power||Secondary character||"Heh! Looks like Kirby's all conked out!"||This is the first episode where King Dedede is not a leading character in the plot.|
|Here Comes the Son||Secondary character||"Sorry to interrupt your snack, but we got a surprise for you!"|
|Dedede's Snow Job||Primary character||"This weather ain't gonna be done with 'til Kirby's on ice, but Chilly's too much of a chump to do it!"|
|A Princess in Dis-Dress||Primary character||(singing) "I wanna make you miiiine! Oh yeeeah, babyyy! How's about we get hitched, honey?"|
|Island of the Lost Warrior||Secondary character||"We'll stuff that little pink turkey and mash him like a potato!"|
|The Empty Nest Mess||Primary character||"This is all your fault, and if I don't survive, you're fired!"|
|Ninja Binge||Primary character||"Bunch of juvenile delinquencies!"|
|Escargoon Rules||Primary character||"I ain't no gesture!"||King Dedede is trying to say "jester".|
|Hour of the WolfWrath||Secondary character||"I don't care nothin' about its temperature! All I want it to do is get rid of that pink pest Kirby!"|
- In Curio's Curious Discovery, Escargoon mentions that Dedede is the 17,052nd ruler in his line.