Deadly Sun[Japanese title][from internal data] is a recurring attack that is used by several characters and/or bosses in the Kirby series. It is often used by Soul-form bosses and is notable for being easy to spot its telegraph.
Appearance and function
When used, the boss travels to the background before suddenly catching fire and moving offscreen to the point and elevation at which it will reappear. It then streaks across the battlefield, usually horizontally, taking up roughly half of the screen as it does. It may also return from the other side to take up the other half of the screen.
The following table outlines in chronological order which games this attack appears in, which entity can use the attack, and any other pertinent notes.
|Deadly Sun Appearances|
|Kirby: Canvas Curse||Drawcia Soul||This is the first appearance of the move, setting the standard for how it operates.|
|Kirby Super Star Ultra||Marx Soul||Marx Soul splits himself in half to initiate his variation of the move, causing the two "comets" to initiate the move simultaneously from different directions.|
|Kirby's Return to Dream Land||Grand Doomer||Used only by Grand Doomer EX. This attack is only used during the Ultra Sword section, so it does not appear in The True Arena.|
|Kirby: Triple Deluxe||Soul of Sectonia||Used only during the final phase. Merged with Bound Pound under the name Deadly Bound Sun.|
|Kirby Star Allies||Void||Used five times in a row.|
|Kirby and the Forgotten Land||Chaos Elfilis||Called Deadly Sun Grazer. Used in the final phase. This attack is unavoidable unless Kirby uses the stone pillars to get high enough.|
- There are also a few variations of the move:
- In Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Magolor has the Lor Starcutter use a variation known as Shield Ram when it is down to half health, so named because he has the Starcutter activate its shield before moving. This attack carries over into the EX version of the battle.
- In Kirby: Planet Robobot, Star Dream uses a variation known as Thermal Module during its first phase, where it instead streaks vertically across the screen. This attack carries over into the Star Dream Soul OS battle.
Deadly Sun being used by Drawcia Soul
Deadly Sun being used by Marx Soul
Deadly Sun being used by Grand Doomer EX
Deadly Bound Sun being used by Soul of Sectonia
Deadly Sun Grazer being used by Chaos Elfilis
Names in other languages
- Taken from internal name "DeadlySun", from Kirby Star Allies and Kirby and the Forgotten Land.
- From the 星のカービィ トリプルデラックス 完全攻略本 (Kirby: Triple Deluxe Complete Strategy Guide) book.
- A Japanese strategy guide for Kirby Star Allies