|“||If a friend raises a weapon with ↑, attach effects like fire to your friend's weapon by hitting it with B.||”|
— In-game tip from Kirby Star Allies
A Power Effect refers to the many different ways in which weapon-based Copy Abilities can be enchanted in Kirby Star Allies. These effects are similar to the various Ability Scroll elemental combos which Kirby could perform in Kirby: Squeak Squad, but are much broader in scope.
Elements and sources
There are five different types of effects which can be applied: Blizzard, Bluster, Sizzle, Splash, and Zap. These elements are applied by having the ally wielding the weapon hold it up, then having the element-wielding ally use an elemental attack on the weapon to power it up. This effect then remains on the weapon indefinitely, only being lost if the ability is discarded and left to bounce as a star for a few seconds or the wielder defeated (not just fainted). Tossing a Friend Heart at an elemental Ability Star before the element disappears will create the respective Friend with that element.
Applying an effect to a weapon allows the user to perform more elaborate attacks, and often adds special properties in addition to raising the damage dealt by 25%. One example is Bluster Bomb, which allows the user to float up into the air while holding the bomb in hand.
The following table lists every known source for each effect, as well as the general characteristics of the element in question:
|Elements in Kirby Star Allies|
|Element||Granted by||Characteristics||Enemies weak to the element|
Stone has some Friend Abilities that grant it temporary elemental powers, albeit not a weapon-based ability. The Curling Friend Abilities have their respective element, Geokinesis with ESP grants it the Zap effect, and Rock Painter with Artist/Adeleine & Ribbon covers the stone sculpture with paint.
List of Augmentable Weapons
The following Copy Abilities and allies can receive elemental powers:
- Bomb (Poppy Bros. Jr.)
- Cutter (Sir Kibble)
- Hammer (Bonkers, King Dedede)
- Ninja (Bio Spark)
- Spear (Bandana Waddle Dee only)
- Staff (Jammerjab)
- Sword (Blade Knight, Meta Knight, Dark Meta Knight)
- Whip (Wester)
- Yo-Yo (Gim)
Friend Star / Star Allies Sparkler
The Friend Star and the Star Allies Sparkler fire elemental bullets based on the rider and indicated by the icon's color on the dashboard. Besides the five elements aforementioned, some abilities/allies have their own variants:
- Blizzard: Ice, Daroach, Francisca
- Bluster: Wing, Cleaning
- Sizzle: Fire, Rick & Kine & Coo, Flamberge
- Splash: Water, Gooey
- Zap: Beam, Plasma, ESP, Magolor, Zan Partizanne
- Slash[from internal data]: Sword, Cutter, Ninja, Meta Knight, Bandana Waddle Dee, Dark Meta Knight
- Blow[from internal data]: Stone, Hammer, King Dedede
- Blast[from internal data]: Bomb
- Plain[from internal data]: Normal Kirby, Whip, Yo-Yo, Staff, Fighter, Suplex, Beetle, Spider, Parasol, Artist, Cook, Crash, Festival, Mike, Marx, Adeleine & Ribbon, Taranza, Susie
Weapon wielders will still fire their default bullets even with an element granted beforehand. Elemental shots are slightly more powerful than no-element/"plain" shots.
In the final battle, Void Termina's elemental effects during his Demon God Form (Phase 1) and Angel Form (Phase 3) can be negated by the respective weakness bullets from the Star Allies Sparkler, e.g. Void Termina's Blizzard Sword icicles can be destroyed by Sizzle bullets.
- In Kirby Star Allies, the Hammer ability's Hammer Flip lost its fire element from previous games, presumably since it would be redundant with Sizzle Hammer.
- The Bomb ability no longer has a fire effect as of Kirby's Return to Dream Land, so Sizzle Bomb is new to the series (Thunder Bomb and Ice Bomb had previously appeared in Kirby: Squeak Squad).
- The allies that have the most elements are Rick & Kine & Coo and The Three Mage-Sisters, with four out of five each; Rick & Kine & Coo can't provide Zap, while the Three Mage-Sisters can't provide Bluster. Although, Rick, Kine, & Coo can only provide ice when on the surface of water.
- If a projectile from Cutter, Bomb, or Marx contacts an elemental attack, that projectile will turn elemental, but the user won't receive the element in this way.
- The element of the Friend Star or Star Allies Sparkler is determined by the rider's default attack.
- Main article: Power Effect/gallery
Names in other languages
|From ブリザード (burizādo, blizzard)|
|From ウインド (uindo, wind)|
|From メラメラ (meramera, the sound of burning flames)|
|From スプラッシュ (supurasshu, splash)|
|From バリバリ (baribari, the sound of crackling electricity)|